Mason Jar Love Notes
Created by: Ashley Torres, Pursuit of Shoes
Roses are red, violets are blue, I’ve got something extra special just for you! Call me untraditional, but making reservations on Valentine’s Day is overrated.
You’re stuffed into a restaurant that suddenly seats an extra 10 tables – not my ideal Valentine’s Day. I opt for dinner at home where you can set the mood. Think dim lighting, red roses and a romantic tablescape. I have the perfect DIY project that will make your loved one feel extra special on Valentine’s Day: papier-mache love note votives.
What You'll Need:
- 3-4 mason jars
- Mod Podge glue
- Sponge brushes
- Love quotes – I took them from a book and also wrote love song lyrics on lined paper to make them look like love letters
- Votive candles
- Raffia, twine or ribbon
- Newspaper to cover your floor while you’re gluing
- Write out a love note or two on lined paper to make it extra personal. I wrote love song lyrics on lined paper, and I also cut out love quotes that I found in a book. I liked mixing these two elements.
- Cut out your notes or quotes and size them according to your mason jar's size. The paper should fit horizontally between the top and bottom lips of the jar.
- Use Mod Podge glue and a sponge brush to glue your quote or note to the jar. You can cover the jar completely or cover just portions of the jar. It’s up to you. I also cut different-shaped hearts through the middle of the notes and used them to decorate the jar.
- Spread Mod Podge evenly over the paper and jar after you’ve glued the paper to its designated area, almost as though you’re coating it with glue. The glue goes on white but dries clear, so don’t worry if it looks white at first. Set your jar aside for 10-15 minutes to let the glue dry completely.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 with the rest of your mason jars.
- Add a votive candle to the bottom of each jar.
- Wrap raffia, twine or ribbon around the rim of each jar.
- Add full red roses for a romantic touch, then dim your lights and light the candles. Now you have a beautiful romantic tablescape and reusable vases for next year. Happy Valentine’s Day!