1700s Cod “Chowda”
“Chowda” is the proper pronunciation in New England.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup clam juice
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 medium Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cod fillet (1 lb.), cut in half
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat a Dutch-oven over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until the fat has rendered out and the bacon is crispy. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon. Set aside. Add the cream, clam juice, thyme, potatoes, cod, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a simmer and cook very gently for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Ladle into 2 bowls and top with reserved bacon.