3D Gingerbread Cookies
These holiday cookies can stand up all on their own and will stand out at your festive celebration.
Serves: 12Prep: 1 hour 30 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 1⁄2 cups Simple Truth Organic™ Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Light Brown Sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Set oven to 350°F. In a medium-sized bowl, sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy, about one minute, then add the brown sugar and beat until fluffy, about two minutes. Add the molasses, egg and vanilla to the butter mixture. Beat until well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and mix until a smooth dough forms – flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out cookie dough to ¼ inch thickness and cut out trees and snowmen using cookie cutters – make sure to have an even number of trees and an even number of snowmen.
- Slice a ½ inch-wide vertical slit from the bottom middle of one cookie to the center, and remove the cut-out dough. Do the same from the top middle of a second cookie to the center.
- Bake your cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 8-10 minutes, then cool. Create 3D cookies by interlocking two cookies and standing them upright.