Save to My Recipes
This mixture of seeds is not only beautiful and delicious; it’s healthy, too.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 20 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. white sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp. black sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 Tbsp. flax seeds
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1¾ tsp. active dry yeast (1 package)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. plus ⅛ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. heavy cream
- Combine sesame, fennel, poppy and flax seeds. Set aside 2 tablespoons of seeds for garnishing the top of the loaf. In a large dry sauté pan over high heat, toast remaining seeds until fragrant, about 30–60 seconds. Remove immediately from the hot pan and cool. Pulse in a coffee grinder to a fine powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together milk, honey, and yeast. Set aside at room temperature until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in butter, whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and ground seeds. Add enough bread flour to create a firm dough. Add flour only to reduce stickiness. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 8–10 minutes. Return to bowl, dust the top with flour, and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap. Rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 1½ hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Turn risen dough onto a floured surface and divide into 3 equal portions. Shape each into a tight rope, no longer than 12", and form a 3-strand braid. Place onto prepared pan, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and set aside to proof for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together egg, cream, and remaining salt, and brush gently onto the top of the risen loaf. Sprinkle with remaining whole seeds, and bake until golden brown and hollow sounding, about 30–40 minutes. Cool completely on a rack before serving.