Acorn Squash, Cranberries, and Wild Rice
This is a quick and easy vegetarian meal made entirely in the microwave. The microwave takes the time factor out of cooking the squash, which can take 45 to 60 minutes in a conventional oven.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 acorn, buttercup, or carnival squash, whole
- 1 cup cooked wild rice blend
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp. fresh thyme, minced
- 3 Tbsp. pine nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 4 tsp. maple syrup
- Pierce the squash all over with a fork. Place squash on a paper towel in the microwave oven. Cook on high for 5 minutes, turn over, and cook for 10 more minutes. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the cooked wild rice, vinegar, pine nuts, thyme, and dried cranberries. Set aside.
- Cut the squash in half, remove the seeds, and place cut-side up in a casserole dish.
- Spoon the wild rice mixture into the hollowed-out squash. Cover and cook on high in the microwave for several minutes to heat through.
- Drizzle maple syrup on top before serving.