African Peanut Soup
Save to My Recipes
Peanut butter is an excellent source of protein. Feel free to play around with the seasonings in this unique soup. A small pinch of curry powder would be an excellent addition.
Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 15 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes with liquid
- 8 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- ⅔ cup crunchy peanut butter
- ½ cup minced cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Cook onions and bell peppers until softened, about 3–4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Add cooked vegetables to a greased 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes and their liquid, broth, ground pepper, chili powder, and rice to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- One hour prior to serving stir in the peanut butter. Garnish with cilantro.