After-School Applesauce Snack Cake
This recipe was created by America’s Test Kitchen Kids. This simple cake is perfect for fall. Sugar and spices give this cake a sparkly top. Safety Considerations: This recipe uses uses the microwave, uses a knife, uses the oven
Serves: 12Prep: 30 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Make aluminum foil sling for 8-inch square metal baking pan. The pieces of foil should be the same width as the pan and long enough to hang over the sides. For an 8-inch square pan (and for this After-School Applesauce Snack Cake), both sheets of foil should measure 8 inches across and roughly 13 inches long.
- Spray foil lightly with vegetable oil spray. Lining the baking pan with two pieces of aluminum foil makes it super easy to get the finished snack cake out of the pan.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt
- In large bowl, whisk sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined. Transfer 2 tablespoons sugar-spice mixture to small bowl and reserve for sprinkling. Make sure to measure out 2 tablespoons of the sugar-spice mixture into a small bowl.
- Add applesauce, melted butter, cider, egg, and vanilla to large bowl with sugar-spice mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Add flour mixture to applesauce mixture and whisk to combine. Use rubber spatula to scrape batter into greased baking pan and smooth top. Sprinkle reserved sugar-spice mixture evenly over batter. Sprinkle reserved sugar-spice mixture evenly over batter right before baking pan goes into oven.
- Place baking pan in oven. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.