Agnello Polpette (Lamb Meatballs)
Serve these delicious meatballs with pasta or on an antipasto platter.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 5 thick slices day-old or toasted Italian bread
- 3 small shallots, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. ground lamb
- 1⁄2 lb. bulk Italian pork sausage
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups Marinara sauce
- Soak the bread in water for 1 minute. Thoroughly squeeze out all the liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine soaked bread, shallots, garlic, rosemary, lamb, sausage, egg, and pepper. Form the mixture into balls about 2 to 3 inches in size.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry meatballs for 30 minutes, uncovered, turning occasionally until cooked through.
- Drain off excess fat. Add sauce to pan. Bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve hot.