All-American Barbecued Chicken Breasts
This sauce is equally good used for ribs or pork chops.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cans (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄3 packed cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 oz. each)
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the tomato sauce, vinegar, mustard, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and cayenne. Heat to boiling over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 45 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Use a blender to puree sauce until smooth. Reserve 1 1⁄2 cups of the mixture to serve as a sauce.
- Preheat grill to medium temperature.
- Place the chicken on the grill over medium heat. Cook for 8 minutes. Turn and baste generously with sauce. Cook for 8 minutes more, turning the pieces often and basting frequently. To test for doneness, pierce the chicken with a fork. The juices will run clear when the chicken is fully cooked.