The All-New Chicken Kiev
A butter sauce, rather than plain butter, fills these chicken rolls. Regular chicken Kiev has 700 calories and 50 grams of fat per serving!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground white pepper
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¾ cup 1% milk
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 oz. each)
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp. grated Romano cheese
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- In medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper; cook and stir until bubbly.
- Add lemon juice and milk; cook and stir until very thick and bubbly. Cool sauce, then chill until very cold. Divide mixture into 8 portions, shape portions into a rectangle about 2" x 1", then freeze until firm.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place chicken breasts in between sheets of waxed paper; pound until thin and even, about ⅓-inch thick. Place frozen sauce mixture on each breast; fold in sides and roll up to enclose filling; secure with toothpicks.
- Beat egg whites until foamy; place on plate. Combine bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, and olive oil on another plate. Dip chicken bundles in egg whites, then in bread crumb mixture to coat. Place on wire rack in roasting pan.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Serve immediately.