Almonds give custard a rustic elegance and delicious taste.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup slivered, toasted almonds
- Heat milk in the top of a double boiler until too hot to touch.
- Separate the eggs and discard the whites. Add the sugar and salt to the egg yolks and beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add egg mixture to milk, stirring constantly. Heat while stirring until the mixture coats a spoon. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Add almond extract. Beat until the mixture is firm.
- Line individual custard dishes with almonds. Pour mixture on top. Place a few almond slivers atop each custard. Refrigerate 2 hours before serving.