You can buy almonds blanched or easily do it yourself. Just pour boiling water over raw almonds and set aside for a few minutes. Using your fingers, slip the skins off the almonds and allow them to dry.
Makes: 60Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp. almond extract
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 60 blanched almonds
- Sift flour, confectioners’ sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk, vanilla, and almond extract; blend well.
- Stir in flour mixture. Chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Roll dough into 1⁄2-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Brush lightly with cream; press an almond into each. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until just golden.