Flan is always a must-serve when the family gathers for a meal. Give the classic dessert a nutty twist with this crowd-pleasing recipe.
Serves: 8Prep: 15 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup sugar
- 14 ounces NESTLÉ® La Lechera® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 12 ounces Kroger Brand Evaporated Milk
- 12 ounces Califia Farms® Vanilla Almondmilk
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Kroger Brand Pure Almond Extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make the caramel, place the sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat and melt until it takes on a deep amber hue. Pour into the bottom of an 8” non-stick cake pan. Set aside.
- In a blender, combine the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, almond milk, eggs, almond extract and vanilla bean extract, then blend.
- Let the mixture sit approximately 10 to 15 minutes. After resting, remove any top foam that formed when blending and discard.
- Gently stir the flan mixture for 15 seconds, then pour it in the cake pan with the caramel.
- Cover the cake pan with aluminum foil, then place it inside a larger baking pan. Pour very hot water in the large pan, around the cake pan. The hot water should reach halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
- Carefully place the baking pans in the oven and cook for about 50-60 minutes or until center is just set. A toothpick inserted should come out clean. Remove the flan from oven and let cool over a wire rack; cool for one hour.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. When you are ready to serve, run a knife between the baking pan and the flan to loosen it. Turn out by placing a flat plate over the top and inverting; keep it upside down until the flan drops down onto the plate.