Almond-Flour Devil’s Food Cake
This rich chocolate cake is perfect for birthday parties. The recipe also makes 12 regular cupcakes; bake for 18 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1⁄2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped semisweet chocolate, divided
- 3⁄4 cup coconut cream
- 4 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8- or 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper and then grease with a nonstick cooking spray or light-tasting olive oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk the almond flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk the eggs, applesauce, water, 1⁄4 cup oil, vinegar, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, and almond extract. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until you have a thick batter.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake for 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the cake is a deep chocolate brown. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn the cake out onto a wire rack and continue to cool for an additional 40 minutes.
- Melt 1⁄4 bittersweet chocolate in a double boiler. In another bowl, whip the coconut cream until it is light and airy. Fold in 1 teaspoon vanilla and the melted chocolate.
- To make the ganache, combine remaining coconut oil with unsweetened chocolate, remaining bittersweet chocolate, and honey in a double boiler. Stir until thoroughly melted.
- To assemble the cake, slice the cake in half and spread the chocolate-cream mixture in the center. Place the other half of cake on top of the filling and slowly pour the chocolate ganache over the cake.