Almond Honey Cake
Serves: 12Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- 1 cup cold strong brewed coffee
- 1¾ cups honey
- ½ cup raisins
- 3 Tbsp. brandy
- ¼ cup corn oil
- 1¼ cups packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sliced almonds, divided
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Butter 2 round cake pans (8") and coat the bottoms and sides with the ground almonds.
- Combine the coffee and honey in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Set aside to cool. Combine the raisins and brandy and set aside to plump.
- Stir together the oil, brown sugar, and eggs in a large bowl until thoroughly mixed. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg. Add the flour mixture and coffee mixture alternately to the egg mixture, mixing well. Fold in ¼ cup sliced almonds, raisins and brandy, and lemon zest. Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Sprinkle remaining almonds on top.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the cakes spring back to the touch. Let cool on a rack to room temperature, then turn out onto serving plates.