It is imperative to the success of these cookies that the egg whites be stiff and glossy and do not deflate when the other ingredients are folded in. Be gentle!
Makes: 36Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄8 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla
- 1⁄4 tsp. coconut extract
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and spray with nonstick spray.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until egg whites form stiff, glossy peaks that do not tip over.
- Combine remaining ingredients; fold into egg whites in 3 parts.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes. Cool on baking sheets.