It is imperative to the success of these cookies that the egg whites be stiff and glossy and do not deflate when the other ingredients are folded in. Be gentle!
Makes: 36 cookiesHands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 36 cookies
- 4 egg whites
- ⅛ tsp. cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ¼ tsp. coconut extract
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- ½ cup ground almonds
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and spray with nonstick spray.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until egg whites form stiff, glossy peaks that do not tip over.
- Combine remaining ingredients; fold into egg whites in 3 parts.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 18–20 minutes. Cool on baking sheets.