Almond Mascarpone Dumplings
Mascarpone is Italy’s answer to cream cheese, with much more flavor.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- 4 egg whites
- 3 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. apple juice
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup honey
- Sift together both types of flour in large bowl. Mix in the almonds. In a separate bowl, cream together the egg whites, cheese, oil, and juice on medium speed with an electric mixer.
- Combine the flour and egg white mixture with a dough hook on medium speed or by hand until a dough forms.
- Boil 1 gallon water in medium-size saucepot. Take a spoonful of the dough and use a second spoon to push it into the boiling water. Cook until the dumpling floats to the top, about 5 to 10 minutes. You can cook several dumplings at once, just take care not to crowd the pot. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Heat a medium-size sauté pan on medium-high heat. Add the butter, then place the dumplings in the pan and cook until light brown. Place on serving plates and drizzle with honey.