Almond Shortbread Cookies
Baking these cookies on a cast-iron griddle will make them crispier, and they’ll cook more evenly.
Makes: 24Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Using the paddle attachment on a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the extracts and combine.
- Sift the flour and salt together. Stir the almonds into the flour. Slowly add the flour to the butter while mixing slowly. When mixed, turn onto a floured surface and shape into a flat disk. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Flour a surface and roll the dough until it is 1⁄2 inch thick. Cut into rounds or squares that are no larger than 2 1⁄2 inches across. Place the cookies on a griddle, and bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes. The edges will turn brown. Cool to room temperature and serve.