Aloo Gobi (Cauliflower and Potato Curry)
This classic North Indian curry is a hearty main course. It’s also an excellent filling for wraps known as roti. You can make your own garam masala by combining 1 teaspoon each of ground cardamom, cumin seed, cloves, black pepper, and cinnamon.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 lbs. potatoes
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 medium jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 piece (1") fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1¼ tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- Cut the cauliflower and potatoes into large chunks.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat and cook the onions, chilies, and ginger until brown, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, chili powder, turmeric, coriander, and salt; cook 5 minutes more until spices are fragrant and evenly disbursed.
- Mix in the potatoes and cauliflower plus enough water to come halfway up the vegetables. Cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes and cauliflower are very tender.
- Add the garam masala powder; cook 5 minutes more.