Aloo Methi (Potatoes Cooked in Fenugreek Leaves)
Fenugreek is an aromatic plant native to Asia and southern Europe; its leaves (fresh and dried) and seeds are used. Ghee is a clarified butter commonly used in Indian cooking. You can buy fenugreek leaves, ghee, and turmeric at Indian markets and online.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 Tbsp. oil
- 1 Tbsp. ghee
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 dry whole red chilies
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1½ cups potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 Tbsp. fresh fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- Prepare the fenugreek leaves by cleaning them. Then discard the tougher stems and chop the rest of the stems with the leaves.
- Heat the oil and ghee in a large pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds. As they sputter, add the garlic and red chilies. Cook for 1 minute. As they brown, add the turmeric powder followed by the potatoes. Cook for another 5 minutes and then transfer the contents to the slow cooker.
- Add the fenugreek leaves (reserve a few for a garnish) and salt. Mix well. Cover and cook on low for 3–4 hours, or until the potatoes are cooked through (stirring occasionally, scraping the bottom or sides).
- Toward the last 30 minutes of cooking, check to see if the potatoes are cooked. If they are, then cook on high, uncovered, stirring frequently to cook off the excess liquid, if any. You can even perform this step over a stovetop to quicken the process. Remove chilies. Garnish with remaining fenugreek leaves and serve hot.