Aloo Tikki (Indian Potato Cakes)
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 2 lbs. Idaho potato, peeled
- 2 oz. channa dahl (Indian lentils)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp. finely chopped ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- Boil the potatoes in water to cover until tender. Drain and let cool. Mash the potatoes.
- Boil the lentils in water to cover until softened (about 30 minutes). Let cool.
- Add the cooled lentils, salt, red chili powder, egg yolk, ginger, garlic, and the cilantro to the mashed potatoes. Combine the lentil and mashed potato mixtures and form into patties.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Pan-fry the patties until golden brown on both sides.