This addictive cake is filled with custard and preserves and topped with fresh fruit to make the ultimate end to a wonderful meal.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. rum extract
- 1 cup amaretto liqueur, divided
- 2 yellow cakes, baked in 8-inch cake pans and cooled completely
- 1 jar (10 oz.) apricot preserves
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Beat the eggs well. Combine the eggs, cornstarch, sugar, milk, vanilla extract, rum extract, and 3⁄4 cup of the amaretto liqueur in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly until thickens into a pudding and begins to bubble. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Using a serrated knife, cut each cake layer in half horizontally, to yield 4 layers. Place a layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1⁄3 of the preserves and top with 1⁄3 of the pudding. Repeat with the remaining layers.
- Make the frosting by whipping together the cream and remaining 1⁄4 cup amaretto until soft peaks form. Frost the top and sides of the cake with the cream. Arrange the strawberries on top.