Amaretto Dream Cake
This richly flavored layer cake combines the richness of cream cheese, the fruity sweetness of apricots, and the unmistakable flavor of amaretto.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) box yellow cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. amaretto, divided
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 oz.) apricot halves, drained
- 2 packages (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two round 9" cake pans. Set aside.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, buttermilk, ¼ cup amaretto, and oil. Beat for 4 minutes using an electric mixer set to low speed. Turn batter into cake pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Allow cakes to cool completely.
- When cakes are completely cool to the touch, lay cake layers on a clean, flat surface. Mark the middle of the cake layer with toothpicks. With toothpicks as your guide, slice horizontally, using a few slow even strokes of a serrated knife. Carefully remove top layer to a clean, flat surface. Repeat this process with the second layer to create four layers total.
- Combine drained apricots and ½ cup plus two tablespoons amaretto in a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Center bottom layer of cake on platter. Smooth one third of the apricot mixture on top of the cake layer. Repeat for next two layers.
- Beat cream cheese and remaining 3 tablespoons amaretto until cheese is soft. Add confectioners’ sugar and beat until smooth. Frost cake with cream cheese mixture.