American Squash Soup
Fried whole sage leaves make an interesting garnish for this soup. Simply panfry fresh sage leaves in butter or olive oil for a minute and drain on a paper towel.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup croutons
- 1⁄4 cup bacon crumbles
- In a soup pot, sauté onions and sage in olive oil until translucent. Add chicken broth and squash. Bring to a boil, then simmer until squash is cooked, 45 minutes.
- Purée soup in a blender until smooth, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with croutons and bacon crumbles sprinkled on top of the soup.