American Tavern Potato Skins
You know what kind of cheese this is if you’re a “whiz” kid. It’s the right cheese for the job.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups peanut oil
- ½ cup American cheese spread in a jar, melted
- ½ cup bacon crumbles
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- ½ cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the potatoes into wedges with 1" to 2" of skin on them. Toss them with the melted butter then the flour and arrange them on a baking sheet in one layer. Bake for 20 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Scoop the extra potato flesh out of the skins and save it for another use.
- Heat the peanut oil in a deep fryer, heavy pot, or wok to 375°F. Fry the potato skins in the oil in batches for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and arrange on plates skin-side down.
- Fill the potato boats with melted cheese and bacon crumbles. Sprinkle with green onions, and top with sour cream.