Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups peeled and cubed turnips (1" cubes)
- ½ cup water
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place turnips in covered, microwave-safe dish with water; microwave on high for 10–15 minutes, until tender. Mash turnips and set aside.
- Place bread in food processor. Using pulse setting, process until fine bread crumbs form. Add 1 tablespoon of the melted butter and pulse again. Set aside.
- In medium bowl combine remaining tablespoon of melted butter, brown sugar, milk, and egg. Add cooked turnip; mix well.
- Turn mixture into greased casserole dish and top with breadcrumbs. Bake uncovered for 30–35 minutes.