Amygdalota (Almond Biscuits)
Amygdalota biscuits are a staple product in any Greek bakery and they are wildly popular in Greece.
Makes: 24Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. blanched almonds, plus 24 whole blanched almonds for garnish
- 1 Tbsp. fine semolina
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp. orange-blossom water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Purée blanched almonds and semolina in food processor until very fine.
- Beat 2 egg yolks and 1 egg white well with mixer in large bowl; add sugar, almond purée, and orange-blossom water. Mix well with dough hook (stand-mixer) or wooden spoon.
- In mixing bowl, whip 2 egg whites until nice and stiff with peaks; incorporate thoroughly into almond purée mixture.
- Take up small pieces of dough and roll into balls between palms. Place balls on cookie sheet and flatten slightly. Press an almond into center of each.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until cookies are starting to turn slightly golden. Remove from oven and leave to cool at least 1 hour. Important: To maintain the inner chewiness of these biscuits, it is a good idea to store them in sealed, airtight containers or wrapped in cellophane/plastic.