Anchovy and Onion Pie
This cheese-free pizza makes a great cocktail snack or, served with a field-greens salad, a satisfying entrée. The caramelized onions can be prepared a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 lbs. pizza dough
- 1 cup garlic-flavored olive oil
- 4 cups sliced caramelized onions
- 1 can (2 oz.) anchovy fillets, rinsed and dried
- 1 cup pitted niçoise olives
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush 2 pizza pans with vegetable oil.
- Roll or press pizza dough into 2 circles (12 inches in diameter), slightly thicker at the edges than in the center. Place dough in prepared pans.
- Brush the dough with half the olive oil. Cover with half the onions. Arrange half the anchovy fillets in a crosshatch pattern and dot the pie with half the olives.
- Place first pizza in the center of the oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- Remove pizza from oven carefully. Set aside to rest briefly before slicing. Repeat process with second pie.