Light and creamy, this chocolate mousse is a perfect finale for a rich meal.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup superfine sugar
- Melt the chocolate and cream in the top of a double boiler over hot, not simmering, water, stirring continuously. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- When the chocolate mixture is cool, whisk together the egg whites and sugar in a bowl that can be used as the top of a double boiler. Place over simmering water and continue whisking until the egg whites are hot and the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the double boiler and whip, using an electric mixer on a high speed, until the meringue has cooled and increased in volume.
- Whisk the cooled chocolate to add air and lighten the mixture. Gently fold a third of the meringue into the chocolate mixture. Repeat until all of the meringue is incorporated. Spoon into individual serving dishes. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.