For the best flavor, use old-fashioned oats rather than the quick or instant oats for this recipe—just be sure to grind it to a fine powder in the blender. Make certain that the blender is totally dry, or you will have paste.
Makes: 36Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1⁄4 tsp. maple extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Do not grease cookie sheets.
- Grind oatmeal in blender until it is like flour. Mix in rest of dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk, honey, and maple extract. Gather into a ball; knead lightly.
- Roll about 1⁄8 inch thick; cut with animal-shaped cookie cutters. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden. Cool completely.