For the best flavor, use old-fashioned oats rather than the quick or instant oats for this recipe—just be sure to grind it to a fine powder in the blender. Make certain that the blender is totally dry, or you will have paste.
Makes: 36 cookiesHands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: 36 cookies
- ½ cup oatmeal
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp. honey
- ¼ tsp. maple extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Do not grease cookie sheets.
- Grind oatmeal in blender until it is like flour. Mix in rest of dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk, honey, and maple extract. Gather into a ball; knead lightly.
- Roll about ⅛" thick; cut with animal-shaped cookie cutters. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake 10–12 minutes, or until golden. Cool completely.