Anise, Mushroom, and Parmesan Salad
Use the best Parmesan and olive oil you can find. Baby anise bulbs, if available, are excellent in this recipe.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 small bulbs anise
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 large shiitake mushrooms, brushed clean, stems removed
- 1½ Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¾ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 4 dill sprigs
- Remove any tough or bruised outer leaves from anise bulbs. Cut away the feathery tops and root ends. Wash the trimmed bulbs and slice as thinly as possible. Layer anise over a platter. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Slice mushrooms as thinly as possible or shave on a mandolin slicer. Layer mushrooms over anise. Sprinkle with lemon juice and remaining olive oil.
- Sprinkle Parmesan over the top of the salad and garnish with dill. Serve immediately.