These Australian cookies were designed to stay fresh for a long time. They were made to withstand shipping from Australia to battlefields all over the world during World War I.
Makes: 36 cookiesHands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: 36 cookies
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup grated coconut
- ½ cup butter
- 2½ Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 Tbsp. boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, and coconut.
- Melt butter and honey, stirring until mixed. Dissolve baking soda in boiling water; add to honey mixture.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry mixture; blend with your hands. Form in walnut-sized balls; place on baking sheets. Flatten slightly.
- Bake 12–15 minutes. Cool completely.