Apple and Sausage Stuffing
With a satisfying balance of light herbs and hearty staples, this tasty stuffing is a crowd-pleasing side.
Serves: 12Prep: 10 minutesCook: 1 hour 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 loaves Simple Truth™ Artisan Baguette, cubed (about 10 cups)
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon Simple Truth Organic™ Sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Simple Truth Organic™ Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Simple Truth Organic™ Thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 small Simple Truth Organic™ Gala Apples, diced
- 2 Simple Truth™ Eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Simple Truth Organic™ Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- Simple Truth Organic™ Parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9”x13” baking dish.
- On large baking sheet, arrange cubed bread. Bake 5 to 10 minutes, until dried out. Set aside.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, brown and break up sausage, about 8 to 10 minutes, ensuring it reaches a safe internal temperature of 160°F. Remove from skillet, leaving grease in pan. Add onion, celery, sage, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Combine bread cubes, sausage, onion and herb mixture, apples, eggs, broth and 4 tablespoons butter. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and press down lightly. Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and pour remaining 4 tablespoons butter over stuffing. Place back in oven and continue baking 20 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Top with parsley. Serve immediately. Refrigerate any leftovers.