Apple Banana Pecan Muffins
Breakfast muffins take a healthy turn in this dish with the addition of creamy bananas and crunchy bits of apples and pecans.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 sticks butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1¾ cups sugar
- ¼ cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 medium ripe bananas, peeled and smashed
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 Tbsp. flax seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and cream cheese about 5 minutes until creamed. Add the sugars, beating until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition. Add vanilla, beat for 2 minutes. Finally, add in smashed bananas and beat for 2 minutes, until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ginger. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in 3 additions on low speed. Mix until just combined. Add apples and nuts and stir in with a spoon.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle with flax seeds. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges. Remove from heat. Serve or store in airtight container and freeze for up to 1 month.