Moist and full of apples, this bread is a great snack with a piece of Cheddar cheese. You give your family fiber with great flavor from the whole-wheat flour and apples.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 packet (¼ oz.) yeast
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⅓ cups warm water
- 3 Tbsp. soft butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup peeled, chopped apples
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon mixed with 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Combine yeast, ½ teaspoon sugar, and ⅓ cup water in a bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl combine remaining water, butter, remaining sugar, salt, and baking powder. Mix in the all-purpose flour and then the yeast mixture, with an electric mixer. Add the whole-wheat flour. Knead with a dough hook for 10 minutes.
- Turn dough into an oiled bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours, until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough, then roll it into a rectangle. Scatter the apples over the dough and sprinkle them with the cinnamon sugar. Roll into a cylinder and place in an oiled loaf pan. Cover and let it rise in a warm place for 90 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover bread and bake for 50 minutes.