Apple Brown Sugar Muffins
With this dish, all the best flavors of apple pie combine in a tender muffin. These are especially wonderful with a cup of coffee for breakfast!
Serves: 18Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. allspice
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 18 muffin cups with nonstick spray, or line with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt. Add brown sugar and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine butter, vanilla, milk, and eggs and whisk until well-mixed.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then pour in the wet ingredients. With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, gently fold the mixture until just combined, about 12 strokes. Add the apple and fold 3 to 4 more times to distribute. Do not over-mix.
- Divide batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups and sprinkle the tops with an equal amount of sugar. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and spring back when gently pressed in the center. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.