Apple and Candied-Walnut Pie
Topped with sweet glazed walnuts, this pie is a delicious combination of flavors and textures.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced ¼" thick
- 3 medium Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and sliced ¼" thick
- 1½ cups chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 pie shell, (9") unbaked
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, ¾ cup chopped walnuts, ½ cup light brown sugar, lemon juice, flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss to coat and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Pour the apple mixture into the pastry crust and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the crust is brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Set the oven rack about 5" from the heating element. Set oven to broil. Combine the remaining walnuts with the remaining light brown sugar and the melted butter. Mix well, then spread over the baked pie. Wrap the edge of the crust with aluminum foil to keep it from burning. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until bubbly. Cool completely before serving.