Apple Cheddar Slab Pie
The perfect ratio of sweet apple filling with a Cheddar-infused crust…it makes enough for a crowd!
Serves: 24Prep: 1 hourCook: 1 hour 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 5 pounds tart baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Mix together flour, cheese, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With a fork slowly add water until mixture just comes together. Divide dough in half, wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl toss together apples, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
- On a floured surface roll out 1 piece of dough to a 20”x15” rectangle. Transfer to an 18”x13” half sheet pan. Spread apples evenly across crust.
- Roll out remaining dough to an 19”x14” rectangle. Place on top of filling; seal and crimp edges together. Brush top with cream and sprinkle with sugar; cut several small slits.
- Bake 45-55 minutes until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.