If you like more cinnamon flavor, fold the apple chunks in 4 tablespoons of cinnamon powder in addition to the cinnamon you sprinkle on top of the muffins before you bake them.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 cups oat bran
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup chopped apple
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Combine cinnamon and granulated sugar and set aside.
- Mix the oat bran, brown sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl. Beat egg whites in a small bowl until foamy. Stir in buttermilk and molasses.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the oat bran mixture, then fold in the applesauce and chopped apple.
- Pour an equal amount of batter into each cup and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake until tops are golden, about 20 minutes.