Apple and Cinnamon Muffins
Sweet cinnamon and tart apple make an excellent combination. For even more flavor, add frozen or fresh cranberries.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced apple
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, add the egg and vanilla extract to the buttermilk and beat lightly. Add the vegetable oil and mix to combine.
- In a large bowl, stir the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1⁄2 cup sugar into the flour and blend well. Stir in the 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir to form a batter. Be careful not to overmix the batter; donʼt worry if there are still lumps. Stir in the diced apples.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins so that they are between 1⁄2 to 2⁄3 full. Mix the remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar and remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Store the muffins in a sealed tin.