With the perfect combination of baked apples and crumbly topping, this gluten-free apple crisp from Chef Paul Sturkey is just as good as the one you grew up with, even though it’s made with better-for-you ingredients!
Serves: 6Prep: 30 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup gluten-free quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds, optional
- 3⁄4 cup almond flour
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 4 ounces plant-based butter, unsalted and softened
- Vanilla Greek yogurt, optional
- Frozen yogurt, optional
- Sugar-free ice cream, optional
- Pomegranate arils, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9”x9” casserole pan.
- In glass bowl, combine vanilla extract, nutmeg, canola oil, sugar-free maple syrup and lemon juice. Toss apples in spice, coating well; transfer to prepared pan.
- Using mixing bowl with paddle attachment, mix together quick oats, pumpkin seeds, almond flour and light brown sugar.
- Add softened butter. Mix until granola-like consistency is achieved.
- Top apples with crumble mixture. Bake 1 hour or until crumble is golden brown.
- Let cool before serving. To serve, top with desired toppings.