Apple Crisp with Variations
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 medium cooking apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8" square baking pan.
- Arrange the apples in the prepared pan. In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, nutmeg, and cinnamon and stir well. Add the butter and cut in with a pastry blender until crumbly. Sprinkle over the apples.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the apples are tender. Let cool slightly on a rack. Serve warm with ice cream.
- Variations: Replace the apples with 2 cans (16 ounces each) apricot halves, drained; 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling; or 1 can (29 ounces) sliced peaches, drained. For each of these variations, reduce the amount of brown sugar to ⅔ cup.