Apple Dumplings with Cherry Sauce
Apple dumplings never had it so good! The addition of cherry sauce to this recipe creates a flavor profile that even the pickiest eaters will enjoy. If you want to make your dumplings even more delicious, top them with vanilla ice cream before adding the sauce.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups pitted sweet cherries
- 1⁄3 cup plus 1⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sweet wine (such as moscato)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 package (17 oz.) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 8 large apples, cored
- 8 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Place butter in a large skillet over medium heat, and add cherries. Sauté for 5 minutes, then add 1⁄3 cup sugar and wine. Reduce heat and simmer until syrupy, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, 1⁄4 cup sugar, almond extract, and egg until smooth.
- Roll out a sheet of puff pastry and cut into 8 squares. Place an apple in the center of each square, and sprinkle 1 tsp. brown sugar on the inside of each apple. Fill apple cavities with equal amounts of cream cheese filling, then quickly pull the puff pastry up from opposing corners and pinch closed to make a dumpling. Place dumplings into prepared dish.
- Sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from heat, top each dumpling with equal amounts cherry sauce, and serve.