Apple Dumplings with Pecan Filling
These dumplings are hearty and filling, and perfect for sharing! A scoop of vanilla bean ice cream would be a lovely addition.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and cut in half
- 1 package (14.1 oz.) refrigerated pie crust
- ½ cup caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- In a small bowl combine the pecans, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and allspice and mix well. Pack equal amounts of butter mixture into each apple half.
- Divide both of the pie crusts into 4 pieces. Place one apple half on top of one piece of dough filling side down. Wrap the dough up the side of the apple, then place a second piece of dough over the top of the apple, and wrap the dough down under the apple. Repeat until all apples are wrapped in dough.
- Place the apples on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25–30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the apple is tender when a paring knife is inserted into the side of the dumpling. Remove from heat and cool for 20 minutes before placing on serving plates and drizzling with caramel sauce. Serve warm.