Don’t let the addition of fresh fruit fool you. These are doughnuts, through and through.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 cups canola oil
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and grated
- Combine 1⁄4 cup sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
- In a heavy, high-sided frying pan, heat oil to 350°F. Sift together flour, 1⁄4 cup sugar, salt, and baking powder into a large bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together egg and milk, then add to dry ingredients, and stir until just combined. Fold in apples.
- Drop tablespoons of batter into hot oil. Working in batches, fry 2 to 3 minutes, until evenly browned. Drain on paper towels and roll warm fritters in cinnamon-sugar mixture.