Apple, Gruyère, and Caramelized Onion Quiche
Gruyère cheese pairs well with sweet caramelized onions and tart apples.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), unbaked
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Pinch fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- 1⁄2 cup caramelized onions
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- Line the pie crust with parchment paper or a double layer of aluminum foil and add pie weights or dry beans. Bake for 12 minutes, then remove the paper and weights and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown all over. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks. Add the half-and-half, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and whisk until well combined.
- Spread the onions, apples, and cheese over the bottom of the crust. Cover with the egg mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the filling is set and starting to brown lightly on the top. Cool for 20 minutes at room temperature before serving.