Apple Meringue Cake
A crisp, nut-studded meringue tops tender apple slices and velvety cake in this simple and elegant dessert.
Serves: 9Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄8 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch square pan with cooking spray containing flour and set aside.
- Place apple slices in a medium bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice; set aside. In large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar and beat until fluffy. Add egg yolks and milk and beat well. Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined. Pour into prepared pan and smooth top. Arrange apple slices over top.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in nuts and spread over apples in pan.
- Dust with cinnamon and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until meringue is light brown and crisp. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.