Apple Oatmeal Crumb Pie
Yum. This recipe is like apple crisp in a piecrust. You could use toffee baking bits instead of walnuts if you’d like.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 unbaked pie shell (9 inches)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In small bowl, combine lemon juice and vanilla; mix well. Place apples in a large bowl; sprinkle with the lemon juice mixture.
- In same small bowl, combine 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, and cardamom; mix well. Sprinkle over apples and toss to coat. Place apple mixture in the pie shell.
- In same large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, oatmeal, walnuts, and 1 cup brown sugar; mix well. Add melted butter and mix until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of pie.
- Bake for 1 hour, covering pie with a sheet of foil if it starts browning too quickly. Cool completely on wire rack before serving.