Apple Oatmeal Scones
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. apple juice
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour and baking powder. Add the butter and, using a pastry cutter, cut in until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the apple and rolled oats and mix thoroughly. Mix in the egg whites, apple juice, and honey; mix well. The dough will be sticky.
- Form the dough into a 7-inch round directly on the baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 12 wedges.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden. Cool on a rack.