Apple-of-My-Eye Short Ribs
Serves: 12Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 lbs. bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
- 8 whole cloves
- 1½ tsp. salt, divided
- 1 jar (10 oz.) apple butter
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Trim the fat from the ribs and cut them into serving-sized pieces. Place in a large pot and cover with water. Add the onion, garlic clove, whole cloves, and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover. Cook about 1½ hours or until tender. Drain.
- Preheat the broiler and adjust the rack so that the ribs will cook about 4 to 5" from the heat element.
- Prepare the glaze: Combine the apple butter, wine, mustard, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper in a saucepan. Heat and stir until combined. Place the ribs on the broiler pan and brush with the glaze. Broil for a total of about 15 minutes, turning often and brushing with glaze each time you turn. Serve the remaining warm glaze on the side.